Solid State Pharma Inc. (SSPI) is a leader in the delivery of crystallization engineering services including screening and selection of polymorphs, co-crystals, salts, and crystallization process development and optimization. SPPI has experienced great success with the workflows that have been developed by combining fundamentals of crystallization and solid form science with years of experience and high throughput techniques. SSPI is conducting research on pharmaceutical crystallization engineering, polymorph screening, salt screening, co-crystal screening, chiral resolution, polymorph quantification, converting amorphous material to crystalline solid, chemical and crystallization process modeling. SSPI is working with a large number of pharmaceutical companies across the globe to help them fully understand the solid state and crystallization of their drug candidates.
About Halifax, Nova Scotia
Halifax is one of the most beautiful and historic cities in Canada. Located on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, there are numerous parks, campsites, trails and rivers around the city for outdoor activities. City life is also superb. With a population of more than 400,000, Halifax is home to many cultural attractions, museums, art galleries, pubs and clubs. The city hosts three major universities and many community colleges. The beautiful Annapolis valley, which is home to the highest tides in the world, and also mountainous Cape Breton, are within a few hours drive from Halifax. Halifax has one of the mildest winters in Canada as well as one of the most pleasant summers, which you can enjoy on the beautiful water front boardwalk.
The “Scientist” position is a key contributor to the ongoing research at SSPI reporting to senior scientists or directors. “Scientist” will contribute through conducting solid form screening experiments, characterizing the resulting material, preforming crystallization process development for active pharmaceutical ingredients and natural products through utilizing the physical chemistry knowledge and hands on experiences. It is expected to have 70-80% lab work.
- Design and preform high throughput polymorph screening, salt screening, solubility measurements and characterization under direction of senior scientist or director.
- Design and preform crystallization process development, under direction of senior scientist or director, to achieve desired polymorph and specifications while meeting the specs.
- Characterize the generated samples using X-ray Powder Diffraction (XRPD), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Thermal Gravimetry Analysis (TGA), Liquid Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
(NMR), Dynamic Vapor Sorption (DVS), Optical Microscope, Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), Particle Size Analyzer and HPLC.
- Record all details of experiments and analytical data
- Analyze data that are obtained from experiments and draw conclusions
- Use Design of Experiments (DOE) software to perform statistical analysis of generated experimental data
- Write high quality weekly and final reports
- Routinely present the project results to the team through teleconference
- Follow the safety rules and housekeeping principles to ensure all working areas are clean and safe
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Education & Experience
MSc (0-3 years related experience) or PhD (0 year), in chemistry, chemical Engineering or related in the areas of crystallization engineering, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, solid state characterization or organic chemistry. Previous experience in crystallization science and engineering is a plus.
Candidates with more experience are encouraged to apply as the title could be adjusted.
- Laboratory techniques for conducting wet chemistry experiments
- Knowledge of XRPD, DSC, TGA, STDA, SEM, DVS, NMR, HPLC and particle size analyzer is a plus
- Knowledge of crystallization engineering and solid form screening principles is a plus
- Knowledge of Process Analytical Technologies (PAT) tools is a plus. Specifically, FBRM, React-IR and PVM
- Knowledge of statistical Design of Experiment (DOE) is a must
- Experience with DOE software, e.g. Design Expert is a plus
- Ability to use Microsoft office software is a must
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present the results are required
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk, hear, see, stand, walk, sit, smell and use hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to pick up ordinary weights.
Open until filled
Please e-mail your CV and cover letter describing why you are an ideal candidate: email@example.com